Sunday, July 15, 2012

9-15 July - Ghana: For Better or Worse

Big research new of the week: chart review is finished! After several weeks, I'm finally done scouring charts for hours on end each weekday. Moreover, the data from all 818 charts has been entered into Excel. Whew. A little more data collection at the Ghana Health Service Regional Offices, then time to get down to analyzing!
My final 50 charts at Kumasi South Hospital.
This weekend, my friend and classmate, Jen, visited from her internship in Kasoa. We had a great time exploring Kumasi's Kejetia Market and the National Cultural Center. We also attempted to visit the Okomfo Anokye Sword at the Komfo Anokye Hospital, but viewing was closed. Oh well.

Jen loves Ghana and plans to find a job and move here after finished her MPH at Yale next May. I, on the other hand, do not love Ghana. I definitely like it and have enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy) being here this summer, but have failed to be wholly enamored with the country. Although I do my best to appreciate all that Ghana has to offer, I really dislike some things about Ghana. Here are some of them:

I dislike...
-Trash everywhere
-Cab drivers who tell me they know where my destination is, drive for 10 minutes, then ask me if I know where they should be going
-That no one can understand me, despite English being the official language; not ever knowing what people are saying around me
-Dirt & dust everywhere
-Total lack of variety in food
-Automatically having attention drawn to me because I am so clearly out of place

Of course, I also like many things about Ghana.

I like...
-General lack of stress
-How incredibly safe I feel
-How helpful and friendly everyone is
-Bargaining for souvenirs (I really love it)
-The general motivation of Ghanaians to want better things for their country, despite not always knowing how best to achieve those things
-Riding in cars here....it's oddly soothing, considering the condition of the roads/driving style

No comments:

Post a Comment