Sunday, July 29, 2012

23-29 July - Roadblock

It was bound to happen sometime, and I have finally encountered some challenges with my study. I'm almost relieved because everything felt just too easy and I was beginning to feel that I must be doing something wrong.


I am struggling to get a few values I need for my model (transmission rates, costs of treatment, etc.). These mysterious values are proving elusive. After not being able to obtain them from records at the hospitals, I visited the Ghana Health Service office to try their resources. They redirected me to the National AIDS Control Programme headquarters in Accra, whose office I have emailed and my advisor has made several calls, but to no avail.

Nevertheless, I'm not too worried. I will persist a little longer and resort to my multitude of back-up plans if necessary.

I am a huge fan of the Olympics was very grateful to be able to watch the opening ceremonies on Friday night. Ghana is broadcasting the Olympics on GTV. GTV experienced a brief power outage during the opening ceremonies, and subsequently broadcast most of the ceremony's remainder in only green and red, but it was still good to watch! GTV also advertises that they have "full coverage of all of the Olympic events, every detail, LIVE from London"....which is very far from the truth. They show the Olympics for only about 4 hours each day and only show soccer, boxing, and basketball. My original plan for the weekend of sitting in my hotel room, eyes glued to a TV set was not able to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment