Monday, July 2, 2012

26 June-2 July - Data Collection + Republic Day Weekend

There isn't much to report from this past week...basically just me in hospital records offices, going through charts.

The weekend was very fun! It was Ghana's Republic Day on Sunday, so everyone had work off on Monday. I used the long weekend to visit my friend Jen, a fellow YSPH student in Kasoa. Jen is working with the Cheerful Hearts Foundation. I stayed at her house, which she usually shares with several other volunteers who were out of town over the weekend. It was really neat to see how experiences in Ghana compare. Living in a house with Ghanaian hosts, Jen definitely gets a better understanding of "living in Ghana", compared to my life in a hotel, which is much more of a "life in Ghana for foreigners who are only here temporarily." 

The trip to Kasoa is not incredibly hard, but it is very long. I left the hotel at 6:45 on Saturday morning and didn't arrive at Jen's place until about 6 PM that night (partially due to many detours taken on the road because of accidents). Sunday morning brought a real treat, as Jen made pancakes for me, her, and her hosts. Yum.


We walked around Kasoa briefly on Sunday, then went to Big Milly's beach resort to relax and spent a night hearing the waves crash against the shore. There were so many obronis at the resort!


I spent a fair amount of Monday traveling back to Kumasi, but was able to arrive to the hotel around 3 PM and get ready for a shortened work week!

No comments:

Post a Comment